Affordable cell phone plans are essential for your family, no matter how big or small it is. You need to find a carrier that can give you a bunch of lines for a great price, as well as the best service and coverage in your area.
Walmart’s Family Mobile cell phone plans offer a ton of options to families and can easily fit your budget while covering everyone on your plan. There are a lot of people who use Walmart’s Family Mobile plans and they’re worth getting to know as an option for you.
Let’s discuss more about Family Mobile and what kinds of plans they offer, their prices, pros and cons, and more!
Family Mobile At a Glance
It’s important to get to know a carrier before making the decision on what phone plan works for you and your family. If you are looking for the ultimate family plan, then Walmart’s Family Mobile may be the best one for you.
Here is some more basic information about Family Mobile that you need to know before looking more into the carrier!
What is Family Mobile Best Known For?
Choosing the best cell phone carrier for your family that has everything you need all-in-one plan is essential. For Family Mobile, they are known for their no contract, unlimited cell phone plans that are priced at a great value, will fit right in your budget, and cover everyone needed all on one plan.
How Much Do Family Mobile Plans Cost?
The next most important factor when choosing a cell phone plan is picking a plan within your price limit. Walmart’s Family Mobile plans start at around $24.88 per line per month and can go up to around $49.88 per month for their unlimited plans.
What Kinds of Plans Are Offered Through Family Mobile?
From set allotment data plans to unlimited data plans, there are a few different options that you have whenever you’re choosing a cell phone plan through Family Mobile. There are four main cell phone plans to choose from and they are a 2GB plan, 5GB, 40GB, and their Truly Unlimited plan. You can also take advantage of the unlimited talk, text, and data on every plan, and high-speed data for a set amount of GBs on three of the four plans.
What Network Does Family Mobile Use?
Every MVNO shares the network of a big carrier such as Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, or AT&T and Family Mobile uses T-Mobile’s network. Their network is known for their incredibly fast nationwide 5G coverage and their top notch service. You can use a network coverage map to see what network is the best in the area you live in, and if it’s T-Mobile’s, then Family Mobile is a great option to look into!
Can You Use Your Own Cell Phone?
You can easily keep your current cell phone when switching, you just have to make sure it’s compatible and if it is, get the Bring Your Own Phone SIM Activation kit.
Walmart’s Family Mobile cell phone plans are perfect if you’re looking to save some money and get more with their family plan. Image courtesy of Instagram.
Family Mobile: Pros & Cons
Every cell phone carrier has its pros and cons, but it all comes down to what you’re looking for in a cell phone plan that will ultimately make your decision. If Family Mobile is on your mind and you’re considering getting a plan through them, it’s essential to look through the pros and cons first.
👍 What We Liked
- Simple Plans That Do the Job. The best feature about Walmart’s Family Mobile plans is that there are four simple plans to choose from that offer a ton of perks that suit your entire family.
- Unlimited Plans Available. While there are set data plans on Family Plan, there is the Truly Unlimited plan that offers unlimited text, talk, and data too. All plans have unlimited data, but only high-speeds for a set amount of GBs.
- No Contract Plans. If you want to stray away from long-term contracts when it comes to your cell phone plan, then enjoy Family Mobile’s no contract plans where you can pay, upgrade, or downgrade your plan monthly until you pick the right one for you.
- Bring Your Own Phone. Family Mobile lets its customers not only purchase brand new cell phones for their plan, but they can also bring their own cell phone and get the SIM Activation for it to get started.
- Uses T-Mobile’s Network. T-Mobile offers some of the best network coverage around the United States and Walmart’s Family Mobile plan uses this and its nationwide 5G coverage.
👎 What We Didn’t Like
- A Little More Expensive. There are plenty of affordable MVNOs out there, but with Family Mobile, you will pay a little bit more around $24.88 per line per month and up to almost $50 per line for the unlimited plan.
- Can Experience Deprioritization. Just like any other MVNO, there is a potential to experience deprioritization. This means that the T-Mobile network will cater to their own customers and their issues first before Family Mobile or any other MVNO that is under their network.
- Don’t Offer Newest Cell Phones. If you are thinking about getting a new cell phone through Walmart when switching to their Family Mobile plan, you won’t be able to get the newest cell phones that are available right now, you can only access older models.
- Only One Unlimited Plan. Out of the four plans that are offered through Family Mobile, there is only one unlimited cell phone plan with unlimited text, talk, and data. The other three plans have unlimited data for a set amount of GBs before it slows down, but they are cheaper in price.
- No International Calling or Texting. There is no international calling or texting on any of Family Mobile’s plans, but you can text or call anyone in Mexico or Canada with the 40GB or unlimited plans.
Family Mobile Services & Features
Family Mobile offers a ton of incredible features that can include the following:
- Unlimited talk, text, and data on every plan
- Mobile hotspots available
- Add lines for only $24.88 each
- Unlimited calling from the US to Mexico and Canada
- HD video streaming
Family Mobile Plans & Pricing
There are four main plans to choose from that vary in price and features and they include the following:
- $24.88 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and the first 2GB at high-speed data
- $29.88 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and the first 5GB at high-speed data
- $39.88 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and the first 40GB at high-speed data
- $49.88 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and high-speed data
Family Mobile Phone Selection
What kinds of cell phones can you get through Walmart’s Family Mobile plan if you’re considering getting a brand new one? Family Mobile offers a ton of older generation cell phones from popular brands such as Apple, Samsung and even Motorola.
They offer some of the following cell phones to its customers:
- Apple iPhone 12
- Apple iPhone 12 Mini
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple iPhone 11
- Apple iPhone XS Max
- Apple iPhone SE
- Motorola Moto G
- Motorola Moto G Pure
- Motorola Moto G Stylus
- Samsung Galaxy S20
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy A13
- Samsung Galaxy A03s
How Well Does Family Mobile Actually Work?
Call & Text Performance
It’s important to get to know how good the call and text performance is through Walmart’s Family Mobile plans. Taking advantage of their unlimited talk is a great perk, but not if it doesn’t work at its best. Many customers have experienced no issues whatsoever with their call and text performance and have been able to do what they need to do with no problems.
The best part about a cell phone plan through Family Mobile is that you can take advantage of T-Mobile’s 5G nationwide coverage. With some of the fastest download speeds from 33 to 182 MBPS and upload speeds of 6 and 23 MBPS, you’ll be set with little to no issues.
Family Mobile vs. Competitors
It’s important to note some of Walmart Family Mobile’s competitors’ cons to give you the extra push to sign up for one of their plans.
Family Mobile vs. Boost Mobile
Boost Mobile is one of Family Mobile’s biggest competitors. While they offer some incredible plans with great service and coverage, they have a poor customer service team, and they have more expensive data plans that may not fit your budget.
Family Mobile vs. Consumer Cellular
Another cell phone carrier that is a big competitor of Family Mobile’s is Consumer Cellular. While they are great because they offer affordable plans, no-contract plans, and great coverage, they only offer a few data plans, a cap on roaming charges, and overall negative reviews.
Family Mobile vs. US Mobile
An MVNO that a lot of people love for their extremely affordable prices is US Mobile\. While they offer some of the best prices out there, there are too many plans to choose from, the initial price doesn’t include the taxes and fees, and there are only a limited amount of cell phones that they offer.
Family Mobile Customer Service
Something that you may not think about, but is actually very important when choosing a cell phone plan, is to find a carrier that also offers some great customer service. Customer service representatives can help you with any issues that you may have with your plan or service, no matter how big or small it is.
Walmart’s Family Mobile customer service is there to help you whenever you need it and they are known for being reliable, friendly, and helpful too.
Their customer service is easy to get a hold of and you can contact them any day of the week from 8 am to 11:45 pm EST time. You can call their customer service number and speak to a representative at 1-877-440-9758.
What Customers Have to Say About Family Mobile
“I’ve been using Family Mobile since September 2021. Fast, reliable, and affordable service. Plenty of prepaid phones to choose from. Definitely a competitor to other big known carriers. If you want something cheap and reliable, Family Mobile is the way to go.” - Oliver. (via Consumer Affairs)
“I am on a tight fixed income. They have great plans. Affordable and easy to get started. Great customer service. Recommended to others. They all are extremely happy as well. You can use all different types of phones. Multi-person discounts. Perfect for anyone and everyone.” - Laura. (via Consumer Affairs)
“I just had a great customer service experience with Walmart Family Mobile. I just bought a new phone and was very excited to make the purchase, but was disappointed that my current SIM card was too large. I was afraid that I would have to BUY a new smaller card and worse yet, CHANGE MY NUMBER! I then contacted My Family Mobile, via instant chat, and was helped immediately by Jovan. I explained the problem and then Jovan put in an order for a smaller SIM card to be sent to me free and my phone number would remain the same. I am one happy customer.” - Marina. (via Consumer Affairs)
Family Mobile FAQ
If you are someone who wants to know everything about a cell phone carrier before deciding on which one is the best for you, you may have a couple last minute questions. Here are some questions that may be on your mind !
How to Activate Walmart Family Mobile Plan
It takes only thirty minutes to activate your Walmart Family Mobile plan. All you need to do is order an activation card with the plan you need, enter the SIM card number, and follow the guide and finalize the details and you’ll be good to go.
Does Walmart Family Mobile Have an App?
Family Mobile does not offer an app for your phone, but you can easily access your account through myfamilymobile.com where you can look at your account, upgrade or downgrade your plan, and even pay your bill right online.
Are Walmart Family Mobile Phones Unlocked?
Sadly, the cell phones that are offered through any of Walmart’s Family Mobile plans are not unlocked, but you can inquire about unlocking them if needed. Contact a customer service representative to see if your phone is eligible to be unlocked.
Family Mobile Plans Offer Flexibility and Affordability for All Families
It can be tough to try and find a cell phone plan that best fits your family’s needs and budget. Walmart Family Mobile offers a few different plans with reliable service, coverage, and even high-speed data at a great price for any family out there.