In life, there are so many reasons to visit a ton more places rather than just remaining in your hometown. While the city or town that you grew up in may be your place of comfort, there are many other cities, destinations, and islands all over the world to explore. You may have the traveling bug in you and the urge to explore new places, which is a great way to gain new experiences, meet new people, and check off all the boxes on your checklist.
Planning your next overseas travel trip? You should consider getting a cell phone plan that is perfect for travel outside of the country, no matter where you go. It is important that you have cell service to communicate with loved ones and also post pictures of your trip to update friends, family, and your followers on social media too.
Consider looking at some of the best cell phone plans if you are going traveling overseas to ensure that you have what you need for your trip!
If you want to switch cell phone carriers, then consider looking into Really to help you with all of your phone services needs! At Really, you can compare phone plans to get more bang for your buck, and you can see what carriers and plans are in your area, sort by price, best value and more, and even click on the plan you wish to learn more about in an instant.
The Essentials for a Cell Phone Plan to Travel Overseas
It’s crucial to get some of the necessary features to ensure that you have a successful trip overseas!
Getting a cell phone plan for traveling overseas can be nerve wracking because you want to make sure that you get one that works well, while also getting all of the features that you need to make your trip complete.
It’s important to consider not only your cell phone options, but also everything that you need in order to have a trip where you can make fantastic memories!
Airplane Mode is Your Best Friend If You’re On a Budget
If you are someone who is on a budget when it comes to using your cell phone overseas, you may not have the funds to afford all of the extra data that you may use. Oftentimes your cell phone will pick up a signal in other countries and immediately start applying data roaming charges onto your plan where you can come back spending more money on your cell phone bill than the trip (not really, but you will see a great increase in your bill!).
One of the best things that you can do for yourself to further save more money is to use airplane mode once you are overseas. Just to be on the safe side, put airplane mode on when you’re flying to your destination to make sure that your phone won’t be grabbing data as soon as you take it off.
Use Portable Wi-Fi Devices If You Can
Have you ever heard of a portable Wi-Fi device? If you haven’t you will enjoy the benefits that it can provide for someone who is planning to go on an international trip. Portable Wi-Fi devices are a safe and secure way to use the internet on-the-go that allow you to hook up certain devices that you have and use it for those and those alone.
Portable Wi-Fi devices can be bought through your current carrier that routes a cellular network to your phone or even your computer, tablet, or other registered cell phones. Once it is activated, it can be used anytime and anywhere, which makes it a great investment for someone who loves to travel overseas.
Sign Up For an International Plan Through Your Carrier
Most carriers offer international plans that you can slap on top of your current plan to ensure that you are able to make the most out of your trip. International plans allow you to utilize your cell phone the way that you would in your home country, without having to worry about data roaming charges.
International plans are usually an extra payment added on your monthly bill, but can be turned on when it is needed to travel overseas. It helps you use your phone’s maps, to call and text anyone without having to be connected to Wi-Fi, scroll through social media, and use your cell phone how you normally do, but anywhere around the world.
Utilize Wi-Fi Video Calling If You Can’t Use Data
Many people want to avoid spending extra money on their cell phone plan every month, especially when traveling overseas because of how expensive it can be once you receive your bill. One of the best things that you can take advantage of whenever you’re trying to save some money, is to connect to Wi-Fi and utilize calling or even video calling when you have to contact a loved one.
Cell phone plans allow you to call and text as much as you need, but it can cost you a ton of money if you are traveling abroad and you don’t have an international plan. This is a free way to still be able to call and talk to family, friends, and significant others even if you’re thousands of miles away just by connecting to a Wi-Fi source.
Get a Mobile Hotspot For Your Plan
One of the biggest things that you may have to worry about while overseas are scammers. Scammers are not only in your home country, but they’re everywhere and they’re hoping to take your debit or credit card numbers, or worse, your identity. If you are looking for a way to stay safe every way that you can overseas, a mobile hotspot can greatly help.
Mobile hotspots are available on almost all cell phone plans, but they are especially great if you’re traveling overseas. You can activate the mobile hotspot on your cell phone, create a password that is unique and only you know, and connect all of your devices to it instead of connecting to a public Wi-Fi. A mobile hotspot is essentially great for people who travel a ton for work, or for avid travelers that explore many places far and wide.
The Top 5 Best Cell Phone Plans For Overseas Travel
Cell phone plans and international travel should be easy, so here are the top plans to get for your next adventure!
There is nothing better than having a working cell phone that you can use internationally when you’re going from one country to the next overseas. With so much to experience in many foreign countries, it is crucial to have a working cell phone plan to ensure that you can enjoy your trip to the fullest.
Take a look at the five best cell phone plans for people who plan on traveling overseas soon!
AT&T International Plans
If you love AT&T’s incredible fast service and 5G coverage, you will love knowing that they also provide international plans for you to utilize whenever you’re planning on your next overseas trip. With their built-in scam blocker, unlimited talk and text, and even a 15GB of a mobile hotspot, this is the perfect plan for anyone looking to travel internationally.
AT&T features a ton of perks when it comes to upgrading your cell phone plan to an international plan:
- Unlimited talk, text, and data
- 50GB of premium 5G high-speed data and then slower unlimited data afterwards
- AT&T’s incredible 5G nationwide service and coverage
- AT&T ActiveArmor which protects you while using public Wi-Fi, Identity Monitoring, and more
- 15GB of a mobile hotspot available per line
- Unlimited international talk, text, and data in Canada and Mexico
- Unlimited texting from the United States to 200+ countries
- Standard definition streaming included
You have a few different options when it comes to choosing a cell phone plan through AT&T that include:
- AT&T Unlimited Starter Plan - $65 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, data, and 3GB of a mobile hotspot
- AT&T Unlimited Extra Plan - $75 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, data, and 15G of a mobile hotspot
- AT&T Unlimited Premium Plan - $85 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, data, and 50G of a mobile hotspot
One of the best cell phone carriers that is especially great for individuals who travel a ton while working is a plan through Google Fi. This carrier allows you to have access to any network of your choosing, or the one that works best in your area so you can ensure that you get the best service and coverage no matter if you’re at home or traveling overseas.
The best part about getting a cell phone plan through Google Fi are all of the features that are included in it:
- Unlimited talk and text
- Unlimited high-speed 5G data
- T-Mobile’s 5G nationwide service and coverage
- No contracts or activation fees
- Built-in VPN and spam blocking
- Data budgets available
- Contact controls available
- 24/7 customer support
- Easily switch plans whenever you want to
- Use Fi app to manage your account anytime
- Mobile hotspot available on some plans
- Entertainment perks available
- 100GB of cloud storage available on some plans
- Free unlimited international talk and text to Canada and Mexico
- Free talk and text to over 200+ countries on some plans
With a plan that allows you to use data as you go, or unlimited plans, you have the a few different options through Google Fi:
- Flexible - $17 per line per month plus for unlimited talk, text, and $10 per GB of data used
- Simply Unlimited - $20 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and data
- Unlimited Plus - $40 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, data, and mobile hotspot
Did you know that if you have a T-Mobile Magenta plan that you can also use it while traveling overseas? If you didn’t know this, or you’re looking for a plan that uses T-Mobile’s network, this is the best one to choose. With up to 40GB of a mobile hotspot to use and other exclusive travel benefits, T-Mobile’s Magenta plans are named one of the top international plans by many.
T-Mobile Magenta plans not only offer a lot of international perks, but they also have features such as:
- Unlimited talk, text, and data
- Truly unlimited 5G data on all plans
- International calling to Canada and Mexico
- Up to 40GB of a mobile hotspot
- Nationwide 4G LTE and/or 5G high-speed data
- Taxes and fees included in monthly price
- Exceptional customer service
- Bring your own cell phone and number
- Entertainment perks
- Scam shield to protect you against scammers
- T-Mobile Tuesdays for exclusive perks
- Travel benefits
Some of the T-Mobile Magenta plans that you can choose from consist of the following:
- Essentials Plan - $60 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, data and mobile hotspot
- Magenta Plan - $70 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, data, mobile hotspot and 100GB of premium data
- Magenta MAX Plan - $85 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, data, 40GB of premium high-speed mobile hotspot, 100GB of premium data, and Netflix
If you are looking for a cell phone plan that helps you save more money per month, then US Mobile is one of the best carriers to choose. US Mobile offers you a ton of features and perks that allow you to use either T-Mobile or Verizon Wireless’ network coverage and service depending on what works best in your area.
US Mobile offers a ton of features that are included in almost all of their cell phone plans:
- Uses Verizon Wireless or T-Mobile’s 5G nationwide coverage
- Unlimited talk and text plans
- Set data allotment plans and unlimited data plans available
- Free SIM card with phone purchase
- 30-day risk-free trial
- Mobile hotspot available on most plans
- 24/7 customer service available
- Entertainment perks for video streaming, music, and gaming
- Discounts on more than two-line plans
With so many plans to choose from through US Mobile, here are some of their best plans to use for international use and in your home country:
- $10 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and 5GB of data
- $15 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and 15GB of data
- $20 per line per month for for unlimited talk, text, and 25GB of data
- $35 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and data
- $45 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and high-speed 5G data
Sometimes trying to find a budget cell phone plan that you can use out of the country is in your best interest. There are many plans to choose from, but one of the best ones to take advantage of is Mint Mobile because of their affordable three month, six month, or year long phone plans.
This carrier offers some of the best features that are available to everyone no matter what plan you choose:
- Unlimited talk and text
- Set data allotment plans or unlimited plans offered
- Three-month, six-month, or year-long plans available
- T-Mobile’s nationwide 5G coverage
- High-speed 5G data
- Free calling to Mexico and Canada
- Free 3-in-1 SIM card included when you sign up
- Free mobile hotspot included in all plans
- Wi-Fi calling and texting
- Keep your current phone or buy a new one
- Keep your current phone number or get a new one
- Keep your contacts, photos, and apps when you switch plans
- Mint Mobile app available to make payments and more
Decide on how long you want your Mint Mobile cell phone plan to run for so you can choose one of the following plans ASAP:
- $15 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and 4GB of data
- $20 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and 10GB of data
- $25 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and 15GB of data
- $30 per line per month for unlimited talk, text, and data
It can be difficult to choose a cell phone plan that works best for your budget and what you need when traveling overseas. Making sure that you have all of the basics is your number one priority, and ensuring that your plan can support an international one is essential.
Consider one of the five cell phone plans for overseas travel for your next grand adventure today!